Sunday, June 5, 2016

Speechless

I have been so stunned by the fact that Trump has received the need delegates to be selected as the GOP candidate for president that I have been unable to bring myself to comment until now, afraid I would vent my frustration and disbelief in words and charges against his supporters that would be construed (rightly) as derogatory.

I used to think of myself as a Republican because it claimed to be the party of the conservative, of intelligence and compassion, of helping people get educated and employed, of not just giving them a fish but teaching them to fish.


"I didn't leave the Democrat Party. The party left me." That comment was made by both Ronald Reagan and Sheldon G. Adelson. I find myself saying the same about the Republican Party now.

I am a man without a party. I find there are no major political parties who share my views on politics any longer. The Democrat Party is the party of government dependence and the Republican Party is the party of government oppression. Even the appearance of benevolent despotism is falling by the wayside.

The US government has become so self-involved that it doesn't care anything about its people any longer. It is totally focused on elections and re-elections. The checks and balances system of the US Constitution is a thing of the past. There aren't three branches of government any longer. Judges legislate from the bench, the President legislates by edict, and Congress is irrelevant. We are long past the point our forefathers would have revolted. We are in the area the German people found themselves in 1930. Massive debt. A weak, ineffective legal system. Rife corruption in every public office. Falling purchasing power. Increasing civil unrest. 

Is it any wonder a charismatic, unfeeling, blustering egomaniac should find himself so popular with the rank and file? Or that a populist outsider appealing to the naive but idealistic young should find himself shadowing the presumptive candidate all the way to the convention?

I sincerely fear for the future of this nation as never before.